Neocron Dragon has just announced his new Ultima remake, uUltima, on the Ultima Dragons Facebook group. With this project, he aims to recreate Ultima 1 using the Unity game engine, keeping gameplay mechanics as close to the original as possible, but using a different set of assets:
- Utilization of the XU4 tileset designed by Josh Steele for all overworld and town maps, which will replace the classic 16-color EGA tileset used in the original game.
- Simplified user-interface utilizing icons instead of keyboard keys to interact with the game world.
- Planned releases for both PC and Android with platform-specific control schemes (keyboard+mouse for PC and touchscreen for Android).
- Utilization of modern Ultima music tracks where appropriate and available. I have been listening to the U5: Lazerus soundtrack while working on this and feel some of it's tracks match the mood of the game so I plan on reaching out to the composer at some point in the hopes of securing permission to use the soundtrack.
- Implementation of a quest log/journal which should ease the initial learning curve/difficulty of the game and make it more accessible to new players.
Join me in wishing Neocron Dragon luck with this project!© by Daniel D'Agostino 2002-2020