Ultima 5 for TI calculators
About the remake
David Randall [drandall99 at charter dot net] has been working
on a remake of Ultima 5 for TI calculators for about a year. The remake has been
tried, so far, on TI-89 and TI-92+ calculators, which have the following
- CPU Motorola 68000 @ 12MHz
- 256Kb RAM
- 768Kb FLASH
- 4 shade grayscale
- 11x11-pixel tiles
- screen resolution:
- TI-89: 160x100 pixels (can display a 9x9 grid)
- TI-92+: 240x128 pixels (can display the full 11x11 map)
The rename is 83%. The game engine executable is currently 56KB. The
calculator's operating system limits the physical size of a file to a maximum of
- 512 tiles, 11x11 pixels and 4 colors. The original tiles were 16x16 pixels and 16 colors.
- 2 world maps (each with a size of 256x256 tiles)
- 32 multi level towns (each level size 32x32 tiles)
- 8 multi level dungeons
- about 150 NPC (non-playable characters) each NPC has a unique daily schedule and conversation script.
© by Daniel D'Agostino 2002-2020
- Commands that are now working:
- move north, south, east, west
- enter and exit buildings and dungeons
- climb up & down ladders
- jimmy (unlock) doors
- open doors
- board and exit frigates, skiffs, and horses
- push small objects
- talk with nearby NPCs (to do merchants)
- ignite torch
- new (party) order
- 'Look' at musical instruments is now working. Enter the correct tune on the appropriate instrument and special things happen.
- 'Look' at grandfather clock to get time is working.
- 'Look' at wishing wells to make a wish. Some wells have been rumored to grant wishes.
- search (doesn't work only for chest traps)
- View a gem
- mixing spells is working
- readying weapons, shields, armor, helmuts, rings, and amulets is working
- climbing over fences, rock piles, and mountains is working
- 'Yell' words of power loudly to perform special actions.
- Tile overlays of beds, chairs, and ladders working
- History window is now working
- Menus are now working
- Approx 416 out of 528 tiles redrawn.
- NPC talking algorithm is working.
- 95% of animated tiles are displaying correctly.
- Map rendering complete. 9x9 tile grid for the 89 and 11x11 grid (same as original) for the 92 and V200. All maps can be rendered including: Britannia, Underworld, townes, castles, keeps, dwellings, shrines, combat, dungeons, and rooms within dungeons.
- The non-playable characters (NPCs) are moving per their designated schedule. (Yes, the NPCs get up in the morning, go to breakfast, go to work, and even go to sleep. (Using a memory and speed optimized version of the A* pathfinding algorithm.)
- The "Clear Line of Sight" algorithm is working. The field of view is blocked by obstructions.
- Day and night algorithm is working. The field of view is gradually reduced as the sun goes down.
- The light source algorithm is working. At night, light sources (torch or lamps) will light up darkened areas.
- Title screen is working.
- Actual NPC sprites are used.
- The 'Look' command works.
- Reading signs works too.
- Can now display all party members and enemies in dungeon rooms.
- Reflection in mirrors is now working.
- Camera Position while in combat or dungeon rooms is working (applicable only for TI-89 version only due to the 9x9 tile grid limitation).
- Combat is approximately 30% complete.
- During combat, "automatic" camera panning is working on the TI-89, this is in addition to the "on demand" camera panning. The automatic camera positioning depends on the position of current player or the aiming crosshair.
- Entering combat maps from all directions working. All party members and enemies display with correct initial positions.
- Drawbridges and portcullis (towne gates) are working. The drawbridges and the portcullis block entrances from midnight to 6am.
- Moongate travel is working.
- Shoppe owners talk.
- Trolls guard bridges.
- Random enemy generation.
- Peer into crystal balls.
- Hole up & camp.
- Summoning and killing the Shadowlords is working.
- All shrine quests are complete.
- Finding Lord British's items is complete.
- Using all special stones is working.
- Falling into the Underworld is working.
- Resurrection after party is defeated.